Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Auto-Shopping

  This just in! A reader writes in to a security newsletter I get:  
I have a story to relate. Recently I was reading my Email (I have Gmail and use Google Chrome for my browser). Anyway, I got an Email that had a link to Facebook with the name that I thought was a friend of mine. Well, when I clicked on the link, all of a sudden my browser started acting "wonky". The print got large, I later found out the zoom had been set to 125%, and my mouse had trouble tracking. When I went shopping, unbeknownst to me, a couple of days later, my browser "saved" my credit card number and security code. It went shopping on its own, while I wasn't home, but had left on my computer. The virus, when I found it, was called Adware.ShopMe something or other (I don't have the full name), but what was weird the virus was only resident in memory and not on my hard drive, which I don't understand.

I won't go into the whole clean-up story, but the virus only did about $30 worth of damage, before which I am grateful. So I can affirm your admonition. "Be careful when you click on those links." -JR

 
  Forewarned is fore armed! Think before you click!!!
 
 
---
Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody.
  - Don Peer ( o)==#

Posted via email from Don Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment