Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tuesday: quick update

 I snuck home to feed the dog and get some lunch, so I thought I'd throw this out for you.
 It was a very, very long day, yesterday. I was finally able to lay down about 3:30am on the pull-out in Anne's room. But, the constant beeping, buzzing and flashing lights made it impossible to sleep. About 5:30 the poking, prodding, blood draws, etc. started. I monitored it all and helped when I could, watched when I could not.
 (After all that she's been through I wish that they'd just let her rest. But I understand that they have her best interests in mind.)
 They removed the air tube this morning and she's breathing on her own. A pulmonary doctor came by to see her and go over things with her nurse because her blood pressure was very low and the blood's PH was, also, very low. So, another unit of blood was added to the two she'd received during surgery along with some and continuous IV of saline solution. Hopefully, her BP will be back up tomorrow and they'll move her to a standard surgery recovery room.
 Dr. Lim, her surgeon, will come by tonight at the end of the day.

Two questions that people have asked me:
 After the operation, did the surgeon feel he did in fact get all of the cancer? Yes. He is very confident that he'd gotten all that could be seen and everything that was in near proximity to it, where it may have spread to, but wasn't yet in evidence.

 Was anyone with you yesterday? Yes. Tara, my daughter, stayed with me until Dr. Lim came out and told us it was done. She's an RN and helped to "translate" for me. Also, she prepared me psychologically for the results of the surgery. For this I will always be grateful.
  Prayers on turbo,
Don and Anne
 

Posted via email from Don Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment