Thursday, March 10, 2011

Anne, day 16

 Well, we've made it through the first whole day at home! Yesterday was a wild, wild ride. Running around trying to wrap things up for Anne to come home so that I could be completely focused. All the while picking up supplies that I thought she'd need for the home care (the people at Care Chest are *wonderful*!) and getting more instructions from her via phone. Did I mention that they dropped this bomb on us Monday afternoon? No warning what-so-ever!
 After getting her home and settled in, Lujean kindly brought dinner for us! Thank God, because my brain was in such a frenzy couldn't hardly think about eating and probably would have microwaved something just to fill our stomachs. But, instead, we dined on Mexican fajitas with all the works!
 Shortly afterwards I noticed that either it must be getting early or the clocks are running late. Because we were both bushed and we still needed to figure out the pre-bedtime regimen. After about an hour and a half of work, measuring, changing and cleaning up, we finally crawled into bed exhausted. No sooner had my head hit the pillow that I was sound asleep. Boy was I glad that I didn't need to go to work in the morning!
 Except for a pain pill in the night, we slept uneventfully until morning. After morning pills we went back to sleep until Suzi called. We had a very pleasant conversation about Anne's surgery and recovery. She talked about her sobriety (59 days and counting!) and told us she and her boyfriend are looking at getting a nice little house.
 Then it was time for the morning regimen. More measuring, more changing and more clean-up. Afterwards, a simple breakfast of oatmeal and juice followed by a panicked call to the hospital. I was so ecstatic about bringing Anne home yesterday, and making sure that we had all her things, that I completely forgot about my guitar and harps in the closet! Fortunately, they were still there and I ran down to pick them up.
 As I headed out, I thought I might have time to swing by the bank on the way and get back before the home health nurse showed up at 12:30. As I approached the major cross street (where I'd need to choose straight for the bank or left for the hospital) I noticed cars at the light in two lanes for straight-through and nobody in the left turn lane. Then, as I arrived at the intersection, the light changed and gave a green arrow for nothing.
 So, I took the hint and swung into the left turn lane and headed for the freeway. After picking up my instruments I was on my way out when I ran into Min. She's the one that had been playing guitar for Anne nearly every day and I told her that Anne had gone home.
 As we parted I heard someone call my name from behind me. I turned to find Seanna, my "red-headed, adopted, step-, half-daughter". She was there with a friend who's sun was in for a terrible infection in his eye socket and upper jaw. They were waiting for the decision as to whether or not he'd be needing surgery. I assured her friend that he was in good hands and that we'd say a prayer for him.
 Arriving home I found Anne on the phone with a friend and reminded her that the nurse would be here shortly. Janine showed up as scheduled and was pleasant enough, examining Anne's sutures and stomas. Asking a few questions and then informing us she had forgotten some paperwork she needed signed before she could begin. I told her to take her time and, perhaps, catch lunch as that was what we intended to do.
 I fixed curried lentil soup and taquitos while Janine was gone. Once she returned, and had her paperwork signed, the interview began in earnest. Several times she told Anne that she wouldn't have to ask about some detail or other once she had it and then shortly afterwards asked again. This, of course, really began to annoy Anne and it continued for an hour or so until towards the end she started saying "I won't have to bother you any more." After the third time I stood up and made like it was time to go. Fortunately, she got the hint. Because I think Anne was ready to throw her out.
 Skype with Jane followed by a "surprise" nap. I say that because Anne had intended to call Margie, but was so tired that she didn't even shut down the computer after Jane hung up. She just kind of closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, as if to clear her head. I was sitting across the room, reading and the next thing I know Anne's waking me up! We'd both dozed off and it's now 6:30; she needs a pill & supper.
 So, microwaved leftovers from last night for dinner. Isn't it funny how Italian and Mexican food is just as good, or sometimes better, after it sits overnight? The flavors seem to mingle and enhance each other while in the fridge. It must be some party in there! Hahaha...
 Then, an attempt at some television, which failed miserably, and some hot Chai tea. Oh, how I've missed that! What a welcomed return to our old routine. This made the evening feel almost normal and was most enjoyable!
 Again, with the regimen and tucking her in bed. Then a game of Plants vs Zombies and my email.
 The 2:00 alarm just went off and I gave Anne her pain pill and some yogurt. She eats a little something with these strong ones to prevent stomach upset. But, now that I know I've been bending your ear for hours, I better get to bed myself.
 I pray the lord our souls to keep... sweet dreams, everyone. I hope you're all as happy as I am!
Don and Anne

---
Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody.
  - Don Peer ( o)==#

Posted via email from Don Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment