Monday, November 22, 2010

The last three days

No... not the movie. That'd be "The Next Three Days".   Friday was a good day for Anne. Relaxing; reading; Skyping. I think she's practicing for retirement! LOL. I went to play with Dave's Garage band after dinner and she watched some television shows. We had a guest guitar player join us who said he'd been in several bands and was currently a studio musician. This led us to believe that he was going to leave us amateurs in the dust. But, by the end of the night we politely bid him farewell. Each of us totally shocked at his lack of skill! I guess we're not that bad after all. Hahaha...   Saturday she woke earlier than I did. When I got up I had to run to the doctor's for some lab work. Standard stuff: thyroid, cholesterol, PSA, etc... After breakfast Walt showed up and we started playing some music. Then Shane showed up with his acoustic and we played the two songs he knew. Then Steve, Shane's dad, showed up and I showed him a basic 12-bar in G on his bass so that Walt could solo over it. Too much fun!   Then Anne and I did some running around because she was getting cabin fever and just wanted to be out of the house for a while. "You remember what that's like!" she prodded me. Boy do I and I'm more than willing to get her out and about when she feels like that.  So, we went to see the tree lighting at the Legends At The Marina (our newest shopping mall) and to try and catch Santa. Anne wanted to ask him to bring her healing for Christmas! Unfortunately, we were a bit late and only caught the tail end of the ceremonies. I had to force my way past a couple of witches who thought they were some sort of guardians of the space in front of the stage in order to get Anne a view. They were an a-capella group of four gentlemen singing pop songs. Nice harmonies and real troupers for being out in freezing temps.   Then we wandered a bit around the mall, which we'd never actually done. They have some HUGE open fireplaces and really neat lighted coffee table/cube things with bench seats around them. Then it happened... Anne spotted a Skechers store!   She's been after me to get rid of my favorite tennis shoes for months (because one has a hole in the side) and before I knew it we were shopping for shoes. There was a "2nd pair for half price" sale going on and we took advantage of it. I bought a pair of brown sport shoes and she picked up a pair of slipper/shoes with an interesting strap and sparkles across the toes. Not really winter wear, but she wanted them that's all that matters to me. Before leaving I bagged the old shoes and asked the girl to please dispose of them.   After getting home we settled in for some TV and some chai tea. While watching 48-hours Mystery she got hit with some bad cramping. I ran and got the heating bad and massaged her shin muscle until it relaxed. (damn, I hate seeing her in pain like that)   After breakfast today I was determined to track down Tim. Whether he was at home, in the hospital, living with his kids, or whatever. First stop was the Veteran's Hospital and, unfortunately, that's where I found him. He'd been released two weeks ago because he wasn't sick enough to need their services. Four days later he was back. It seems he's had a stroke because he could move his left arm or leg. He'd, also, pulled out his "J-tube" (for feeding) while thrashing around in his sleep.   The doctors said that he wouldn't survive the surgery to replace the tube and, so, he hasn't had sustinance for about two weeks now. He's getting morphine every hour to control his pain, but this has left him unable to communicate. His ex-wife and sons are keeping 24-hour vigilance now and don't expect him to last much longer.   Dodie, his ex-, asked me to call his musician friends and tell them in the hopes that some of them would come and visit before the end. I spent some time this afternoon calling the few that I knew and asked them to put the word out and to go by if they could.   After making the calls, I took Anne out for a run to the banks. After dinner at Quizno's we headed home and watched a ouple of movies that Justus had loaned her: Nothing To Lose with Tim Robbins and Martin Lawrence and The Island withEwan McGreggor and Scarlett Johansson. Nothing To Lose was some serious, crazy fun and The Island was edge-or-the-seat suspense.   Be thankful for the love you have and be loving to those you are thankful for, Don and Anne     ---
Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody.
  - Don Peer ( o)==#

Posted via email from Don Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment