Saturday, August 28, 2010

Volcano

Anne spent four hours at school today trying to help get things started. She wasn't in any way ready for this and when she came home she just crashed into the bed and stayed there until I got home. When I asked her why she'd done that I found out that her principal is trying to change the ESL teaching cirriculum and if she doesn't fight for her students nobody will.

Apparently, he wants to take the core reading program away from the classroom teachers and have Anne, her substitute, and her assistant teach it instead. This has her so upset that when I called to say I was on the way home she started telling me all about it. Usually, it's just "I'm on my way" and "See you in a few", but she was really wound up today.

When I got home we went up the street to get some dinner and she explained how several teachers are not happy about this and that he is not only going against the district, but against NCLB and that it would probably have a negative effect on the ESL scores and the school's annual "Adequate Yearly Progress" results.

After we got home, she wrote a letter and reiterated all the problems with his plan and then, after she had laid it all out, Anne was FINALLY able to settle down. We had some iced Chai, she played a little solitaire and I flushed her PICC lines before she went to bed for the night.

Somebody say a prayer for that man,
Don and Anne







PS

My opinion (not Anne's): I'm wondering if anyone at the "Green house" has noticed how his little plan is going to leave all the ESL students out (which he doesn't seem to care about). This is going to cause some real problems with the Feds when they find out that her mandate to provide ESL services to these students isn't being met. And, since he wants out of the school, perhaps he has ulterior motives.

Just wondering aloud...

No comments:

Post a Comment