Thursday, September 9, 2010

Good day, sunshine

  We had a laugh and when the sun is out, we've got something we can laugh about! We feel good, in a special way. We're in love and it's a sunny day! (paraphrased) Actually, it was overcast and windy; trying to rain, but just not quite getting the job done. But that can't touch our spirit!
  Anne had a good day today. She basically took it easy; read her book and had a couple of naps, joined by her faithful companion (Lady). She called and left me voicemail just before 5pm stating that she was heading to Logan's soccer game and that she'd pick up some Mr. Pickles sandwiches on the way.
  I was to meet her, but I was stuck on site with a customer. This was the first PC in a long series of replacements for this company. The old machine had a Celeron CPU (slooooow) with a 37 Gigabyte hard disk (cramped) and only 256 Megabytes of memory. Frankly, I don't know why that machine was even in use. And if that don't beat all, the PC's user was the company in-house counsel! This poor guy was struggling every day just to get his job done.
  Well, needless to say, things were a struggle. With multiple, custom in-house applications and piping everything through "the cloud" it was only a matter of time before there was a hitch in the giddy-up. Fortunately, for me, I was able to call in the Calvary. Dan, our network guy, came by to troubleshoot the server issue and got me out of there before sundown.
  I called Anne as I left the site with word that I was on my way. Going by the shop to pick up my car I noticed that John was still there, probably worried about how things went. As I filled him in, I worried that I might not make the game. Anne had forgotten the camp chairs and the wind was blowing.
  Finally, pulling away from ComputerLand and heading up the road I hoped Anne was holding up OK. I called at the first stop light and found out that they had just finished half-time. (damn) Knowing that I was still 25 minutes, or more, away she told me not to bother trying to make it. This was a double-edged sword, as I was really disappointed that I couldn't see Logan play but it also meant that I could slow down a bit.
  Arriving home I changed and checked my email, Anne arriving before I could finish. As we ate our sandwiches Anne told me that Mr. Pickles was under new management. This is good news. We used to love them while I was taking guitar lessons (they're right next door to the store), but they'd gone downhill to the point that we actually avoided them. The new owners were making good sandwiches again. Yea!
  We squeezed a movie in before America's Got Talent: High Anxiety. We'd both seen this one years ago and got a kick out of the variety of character in it. Especially Cloris Leachman, the dominatrix head nurse.
  Sending the spirit to recharge your soul,
Don and Anne
 
---
Love is the music of life;
Compassion is its melody.
  - Don Peer ( o)==#

Posted via email from Don Peer

No comments:

Post a Comment