Monday, September 20, 2010

I can't wait for a REAL tablet

This fall you should start seeing Android "pads" on all the major carriers. These things are going to blow away the Apple iPad. Sure, Apple's unit is revolutionary. But, the drawback to being first is that everyone learns from your mistakes and you get left in the dust!

The truth about iPad: It's only good for two things

1. Reading and viewing

The iPad often gets called a “consumption” device. But since it’s not really that useful as a music or video player, so I would narrow that definition even further and say the iPad is primarily a reading device.

2. Multi-touch interaction

As I said, the iPad is not a great device for writing articles because inserting links and images is inefficient compared to using a PC. I’m not saying the iPad is bad for typing. It’s not. I hold it in two hands and use the vertical keyboard with my thumbs like a smartphone when entering short stuff like URLs, searches, and quick email responses. I set it down on a table and flip to the horizontal keyboard when I need to type longer stuff, and I’ve written some long articles on it during flights (and the iPad was much nicer to work with on a tray table than a standard laptop). But, when I got back I had to open up the new article on my laptop and add the links and images afterward, which wasn’t very ideal or particularly efficient.

Read more at blogs.techrepublic.com.com
 

No comments:

Post a Comment